Translate

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

I'm done being gaslighted: Why I decided to speak out

As you may have read on my intro page, I have a long history of being involved in CASD. Very little of my involvement has taken place in the public eye. I've attended board meetings for years, provided feedback at board "work sessions" (committee meetings in today's environment), emailed and spoken personally to board members, and even gathered data and provided analysis to help the board members make decisions. The board members and I did not always agree on everything, but my input was considered and valued by many board members while I've been involved.

When Dr. Taschner arrived in 2014, I read the articles about her tenure at Susquehanna Township with some concern. But I attended her town hall meetings and saw a good and caring person who seemed excited about coming to CASD and helping move our district forward after the challenges presented under Como's tenure. I was 100% on board with giving her a chance to be successful, and thought she was going to put her best effort forward. She talked about putting teachers and students at a critical part of the feedback loop of school improvement, saying, "I'm interested in what teachers have to say because the two most important people in the district are students and teachers...and the rest of us are support for those two people."

Early on, when problems began, some people in the community wanted to run to the media as a first step. I discouraged this and instead followed proper channels - talking to principals, district administrators, the superintendent, and sometimes even the board members. Over time, I began to realize this was an effective way to be heard, but it was NOT an effective way to enact change.

When the board added an approval item to the agenda to renew the superintendent's contract for 5 years, several months before required, I spoke to the board president -possibly close to three hours if my recollection is correct. I talked about the negative appearance of adding this to the agenda without first going through the normal process (reviewing and discussing at committee and then approving at a full board meeting two weeks later). I encouraged the board to consider a three-year renewal instead of five. Despite supposedly respecting my knowledge and opinion, and being willing to discuss the topic with me at length, the board president kept the agenda and voted in favor of the 5-year renewal without adequate opportunity for the pubic and/ or staff to weigh in.

When Cathy VanVooren resigned in August of 2016, somewhat publicly, sending an email to share her concerns, Dr. Taschner mischaracterized her words in the press. While Mrs. VanVooren had noted her reasons for leaving as follows, "the current political climate and the tension that exists in the relationship between the administration and many members of the School Board have led me to this decision," Dr. Taschner said in the press that the board Mrs. VanVooren was referring to had been voted out the prior November.

This defied logic, and in fact was immediately rejected when I spoke to Mrs. VanVooren about her departure. I said so in a comment on the Daily Local News website, prompting a personal phone call from a board member, telling me that I was wrong and urging me to delete or retract my comment. This board member believed, because of an exit interview they were told about with Mrs. VanVooren, that Dr. Taschner had correctly characterized her departure. Even when I urged this board member to speak to Mrs. VanVooren and shared my understanding that Principals were unhappy and frustrated, the board member stuck to their original beliefs and took no further action.

When a parent came to the Reeceville PTA in 2016 with serious concerns about building conditions, evidence of a possible mold problem, and copies of health department reports that showed the district had failed inspection multiple times, I encouraged intermediate steps. I thought it would be best if the district shared the building issues with the public, rather than it coming from parents. This parent had already engaged with Dr. Taschner at length and was frustrated that nothing had been done and her child continued to struggle with health problems.

 After the close of the PTA meeting, parents in attendance agreed to jointly write a "concerned parent" letter to Dr. Taschner, urging her to notify the Reeceville parents and staff of the building issues and how they would be addressed. We sent the letter and gave her 7 days to distribute a communication. After these days went by with no communication, we were told she would have it out by end of day on Friday. Friday came and went with no communication. So on November 12, I posted the open letter on social media, as did others.

On Monday, the district followed up with its own communication, stating that mold was re-mediated before school started and the roof did not leak. The documents we had in hand proved that mold was not re-mediated, but to confirm, I requested a Right to Know for the work agreement with Johnson Controls, the group that supposedly did the remediation. The response back was that this document did not exist. Despite our proof, Dr. Taschner's message to the public was that the problem didn't exist, or had been handled appropriately. And it was only after our post to social media that her promised letter to the parents was released.

In 2018, a good friend told me her son was involved in a research project on CPM and wanted to present his findings to the school board. I gave her, and him, some advice and direction, and attended the meeting with interest to hear the speeches he and other students prepared. Following their thoughtful and careful analysis and articulate presentations, I watched to see how the board and district would react.

What I heard about was shocking. Teachers were investigated for their potential role in the student speeches, and some students were left in tears thinking they had brought trouble on their teachers. Math teachers were asked to submit lesson plans for the last three days of school and were observed because, as one administrator put it, "when kids say teachers aren't teaching, we need to investigate." I was there for the student speeches (the intermediate school administrators were not in attendance that evening), and the speeches were about the CPM curriculum. I spoke to the intermediate high school principal, where these students attended, and made sure he understood the context of their remarks. I followed up with an email to the board members. One of them wrote me back implying that I was mistaken when I heard the interpretation noted above - that teachers weren't teaching. However, this was the exact characterization I heard first hand from an administrator, and that this same board member was reported as sharing with others (despite telling me it was incorrect).

During this same school year, I served on the district's Charter Commission as a parent representative. Our team was charged with identifying and investigating the reasons that parents pull their children from the district and enroll them in charter schools. As someone who had done extensive analysis on enrollment data, I was excited to serve in this capacity. Our first two meetings, led by building principals and Jason Palaia, were extremely effective. Parent voices were heard and recorded, and we identified discipline and special education as the two main reasons that parents leave. We then dug deep to identify root cause for these two issues. The notes from the first session were distributed to the committee, but we never saw the notes from the second session.

After that session, multiple "Directors" started attending the meetings (including Dr. Donahue), and guided the committee towards planning a Charter School Summit - essentially a publicity event to try to attract students to the district. None of the focus was on identifying root cause, and several sessions even involved presentations trying to tell us that our ideas were wrong - including on from the Director of Special Education on Inclusion. This is only one frustrating experience where I tried to make change from the inside by serving on committees only to find the agenda of those inside the district was being moved forward regardless of feedback from the community.

A vocal minority of people ask "why are you so negative?" and criticize our team and myself for posting negative information on social media. I'd like to set the record straight. We are posting the truth, and the reason we are posting the truth is because there is literally no other way to get the truth acknowledged and dealt with. I've wasted too many years bringing things through proper channels and being dismissed, ignored, or contradicted even when the evidence is supporting what I am saying. By making that evidence public, it becomes much harder for Dr. Taschner and her staff to sweep these issues under the rug.

I can't tell you how many messages, emails, and personal conversations I've had since we started the blog from people who are grateful - grateful their stories are being heard, grateful that someone is finally bringing their truth to light, and hopeful that the truth will finally lead to change. Pretending that everything in the district is positive is not the answer - that's toxic positivity. The best way forward is to acknowledge what isn't working so that we can change and fix problems as a way to move forward to a better tomorrow. If the people leading this district want to continue to sweep problems under the rug and give lip service to engagement and feedback from the community, then I would offer that it's time for them to move on. There is too much good in Coatesville to have the things that are hurting us continue to hold us back. Let's bring our truth into the light and let it lead us to a brighter tomorrow.

Written By: Liz Muirhead

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you have done for years, and thank you to you and others for choosing this avenue to tackle concerns and issues . . Because by doing so you have given the community a voice and have brought true transparency to our district. Which is the only way to efficiently & effectively make positive change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized shortly after CT arrived that we were being gaslighted. I have often been criticized by a small group, including a few board members, for being negative. Unless we expose the truth change does not occur. It means having hard conversations, asking many questions, providing information to others (which some see as negativity). It has been frustrating, depressing, and difficult to experience the last 5 years while very few listened. I was thrilled when you began to see what a few of us new as truth. Thanks for being by our side. Change happens when others are not afraid to expose the truth and reality. I am proud to walk with you. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized early on that Dr T, was not for our district. it started when they started spreading rumors about Dr Powell. Board members would contact me and ask me not to defend her, because they knew some things I didn't. I said make it public. Dr Powell sued the District & won. Still no substantiated facts about what she did wrong. Next a board member received a grant for their group, yet it wasn't offered to longer standing groups such as the Bridge Academy, Coatesville's Kids To College, The Talented Tenth, led by Kenny Allen. Next she lied and signed two completely false Safe School reports. Lied to the public and the Newspapers in regards to the amount of fights and incidents in our school district. Her fear of putting down the truth about violence and misbehavior is what we're still experiencing. Her refusal to follow PDE mandates for two years in a row in regards to notifying our district about low performing schools. She herself has been violating PDE Mandates. She also lied to the Coatesville Times in regards to Charter School Departures, i have the time and date of that article in my brief case. Dr T Lied on our local TV station in regards to fire drills. Once again she signed papers that were absolutely false. Chapter 4 Plan was never placed on our website until I discovered it existed. Special Education of 2015 was never brought to committee for a vote and definitely wasn't submitted for public viewing at the nearest Library for 28 days. The district level plan of the same year was never submitted for public viewing or even for a school board vote. In other words 3 year plans surrounding the education of our children was implemented without our voice being added to the process. To make it worse, She along with the Board President signed an affirmation page stating that they did and that was a lie. On the new code of conduct that recreated states that lying is a cause for termination, yet our Superintendent has constantly lied and received a 5 year contract extension. Chapter 339 k-12 counseling plan is prominently displayed on other School Districts Websites is missing on ours. The list goes on and on.On April 26th, I submitted to the school board 1,600 names calling for her and Donahue to step down. Our district if nothing else, deserves someone who's honest and truthful. How can we trust someone to move us forward if we can't trust your word or signature. Of course in my possession is the signature sheets, the board minutes & agendas that shows her departing from the proper way to implement educational plans in our district. Actually they have been violating our own Board policies. Add in the 3 videos from Susquehanna, and the relationship I built with them and the Teachers here through Educators Unite and I realized I had to be a rabble rouser from almost the beginning. I've marched with them on their protest lines, and held the information that they have shared with me anonymously for 4 1/2 years. I'm so glad that we now have Ccap, because before them I was just a single angry Black Man...Dr T thought it would always be like this but we are becoming United and not a minute to soon. Love you Guys At Ccap. United we will get the change our District Deserves, Never tire of doing good, for in due time we will reap our reward, and that's getting our school back..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Liz and CAP for bringing truth once and for all! You did try and do it the "right" way but with this administration it is futile to have your concerns addressed. I have been trying to speak truth on so many levels since 2015. Its unfortunate that families had a hard time believing my story because it was so horrific, and the shock that it could and did happen in a school, was just so unbelievable for many.
    *** Every child deserves FAPE in a SAFE environment period!!! I am sorry so many more families had to suffer the consequences of Dr Taschners implementation of inclusion without supports, its heartbreaking! Honest to God I do not understand why this administration WANTS to hurt children when they are supposed to take care of their needs in school whether its emotional, physical and special education to get FAPE.....She certainly has destroyed a lot of lives and its time to take the district back from this evil!

    ReplyDelete