Translate

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Donna Rowland - CASD Region 1



Why are you running for a seat on the CASD School Board?

My main concern is the communication gap between the school parents and our community, and I want to help bridge that gap. I served on the CASD Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee, saw the complexity of the CASD school issues from different perspectives, and plan to work with others to solve education problems. I’ve been out listening to parents, nonprofits, teachers, community advocacy groups, and administrators, and I want to be part of the solution. 

 

What experience and/or background will assist you in being a successful school board member?

I have experience with children and parents by operating a daycare center in Coatesville for 25 years. Running a daycare increased my understanding of parents’ hopes and dreams for their children while helping both work through many obstacles they face. 

My goal on the Board will be fighting for the best education for all of Coatesville’s children, paying attention to parents’ needs. I will work diligently with other board members to find resources and set high academic and moral standards for our children.


What involvements have you had in CASD schools or our community?

My children and grandchildren all attended Coatesville schools, and I recently volunteered to serve on CASD Steering Committee. I’ve raised and given over $19,000 in scholarships to Coatesville graduates in memory of my late husband as an encouragement to young men of color that were continuing their education. I’ve always been connected to Coatesville and plan to further this commitment on the school board. 

 

What do you believe are the top two or three issues CASD is currently facing?

  •  Communication ─ Dissemination of Information
  •  Cultural Barriers & Listening to Understand our differences 

 

Is there a particular issue that motivates you to serve? If elected, what will you prioritize?

The beginning will be a learning period for me to understand the school board and see the issues before recommending priorities. 

But today, my general plan is to ensure your child and every child receive what they need to develop to their full academic and social potential.   I will fight for fairness and stand up against particular narrow issues that only benefit one group. I will work with CASD and our community and negotiate equitable policies.

 

What role do you believe the community should play in our schools?

The role of the community is crucial and can positively influence our students and encourage the Board to make the right calls. When our community is involved in education, we contribute ideas to benefit the lives of children and families. I plan to instill a sense of pride so that our community grows socially and economically stronger.

 

Bottom line:  If elected, I plan to work with the superintendent, my school board colleagues, administrators, and teachers on behalf of what’s most important ─ the children and families of the Coatesville Area School District. 

No comments:

Post a Comment