Translate

Monday, May 8, 2023

Liz Muirhead - CASD Region 2


Website/ social media handle:
School Board Facebook Page

Why are you running for a seat on the CASD School Board?

I care deeply about getting involved in the community I live in and making it better.

Even before I finished building my first house in the district in 2004, I was attending school board meetings. I was concerned about high taxes and wanted to ensure the district was able to do its best to serve its students well. My first child was only 1 year old. I attended and spoke at meetings often, chaired committees, and researched policies, laws, and district statistics to help the school board and superintendent work effectively on behalf of students and taxpayers — and to hold them accountable when they didn’t. One thing people always asked me was “Liz, when are you going to run for school board?” But as a full time working mom, pursuing a professional designation, and raising two children, it was never the right time. Now my youngest child is a year away from graduation, and the time is finally right to step in and serve my community in a more official way.

 

What experience and/or background will assist you in being a successful school board member?

As someone who has worked in finance for 25 years, digging into numbers and understanding statistics and district finances is where I believe I can add the most value. I also have a deep understanding of charter school funding laws, their evolution, and their flaws. In addition, I’ve done statistical analysis of district data over many years and believe in having decisions informed by an accurate review of data.

What involvement have you had in CASD schools or our community? 

I have spent time in the schools - volunteering for the PTA as a member and officer, helping with various student activities, and spending 7 years as a marching band/ color guard chaperone and “band mom” at Coatesville Area High School. 

I chaired the Act 1 commission, co-founded the Coatesville taxpayer alliance, contributed to the creation of CCAP, and served on multiple strategic planning committees in the district.

I’ve built connections and relationships with numerous educators and staff in the district and understand both the challenges and the spirit that ties the school community together.

 

What do you believe are the top two or three issues CASD is currently facing? 

 

The top issues are the financial strain that the district is under due to the way education is funded in PA (particularly charter school funding) and the district’s approach to educating the whole child, after considering the high percentage of special needs and socioeconomic disadvantaged students in the district.

 

Is there a particular issue that motivates you to serve?  If elected, what will you prioritize?

 

Accountability and transparency are huge for me. For years, the district has made proposals and decisions without clear insight into the goals or factors considered. I want to ensure the right decisions are made and the board is not a rubber stamp that accepts whatever comes before it. I will not be afraid to ask for more information and context and do so publicly so the taxpayers and community members can learn why a proposal is being brought forward.

 

What role do you believe the community should play in our schools?

 

Especially in a community like coatesville, the community is essential to the success of the school and the children it serves. We need community members to share expertise, volunteer, set examples, and lift up the school community. What makes coatesville special is what will help the students and the district succeed.

 

Is there anything else you would like to share with voters?

Please support me to be your Region 2 school director, so I can continue my devotion to improving the district my family has called home for nearly two decades. As your representative, I will be focused on increasing transparency, accountability, and fiscal responsibility. Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment