Translate

Thursday, May 4, 2023

Rebecca Harlan - CASD Region 2


Why are you running for a seat on the school board? 


I am currently on the school board, and I would like to continue working with the new Superintendent.  I also believe that we still have a lot of work to do in our Special Education department, we are doing great things and I know we will continue to do great things, and I want to be a part of this.  I also believe that the special needs population still doesn’t have a loud voice, and I want to be that voice for parents and students.


What experience and/or background will assist you in being a successful school board member? 


My current role as a school board member.  I am also a special education advocate, so this helps me to be the voice for the voiceless. I already know and understand the amount of time it involves being a school board member.  


What involvement have you had in CASD schools or our community?


I was a volunteer for CYI, current school board member, currently sitting on the mental health consortium that the district is involved in. 


What do you believe are the top two or three issues CASD is currently facing?


1) A teacher shortage, as well as support staff shortage
2) Special Education
3) Finances

Is there a particular issue that motivates you to serve? If elected, what will you prioritize?


My particular issue is special education.  Parents understanding what is involved in special education.  This is the platform that I ran on and I will continue with this platform.  Making sure that our students with needs are not left out and are getting the education they deserve.  I would like to continue to educate our families on special education and help them understand the process, and what their child is entitled to during their time at school.  I would like to prioritize a transition program for our students that are 18-21.


What role do you believe the community should play in our schools?


The community is important to our schools, they are our biggest cheerleaders.  We are headed in the right direction with the community helping our students, and I believe that the new Superintendent will continue to have our community come into our schools and help where they are needed.

2 comments:

  1. Special Ed is just a very small portion of the school population…. What about the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that there is so much more. The question was my priority and Special Ed is my priority. If we can get special Ed running smoothly other things will begin to be better. We could get legal fees down, keep teachers, our line item for the budget on special ed could decrease if we continue to work on supports and better programming. So in your opinion it maybe a small portion but it is a rather large part of our district.

      Delete